Friday, June 4, 2010

~.What is Folk Art?.~

An Excerpt From the Booklet, "(Folk) A.R.T. Is"
by Scott Blackwell

"So, what is folk art anyway? In all my years as a collector, I've heard it labeled in so many different ways; some call it outsider art, self-taught or visionary, but for me, I've always just stuck to the basic term, folk art. The collection I've built over the years contains works embodying what I think of as folk art, a category that was best identified for me through the insight of artist, Lonnie Holley, who once asked, "Are you looking at the art or are you looking at the artist's mind?" This simple question really made me wonder, "What are we really looking at here?" It's more than just bright colors and crude renderings, more than just gathered materials or an untrained sketch. 


Here in these works, what we're really looking at is the rawest form of self-expression, the exposed soul of the artist and their passionate stories of life."
                                      

No comments: